Thursday, March 11, 2010

Getting Closer

Since it has been a few weeks since I have been able to get on the computer, I'll give you another update on what is happening. 2 weeks ago, I had a regular pre-natal exam along with my NST testing. Since I can no longer see my regular midwife, I had it with the specialist. Everything looks great with the baby still. He is quite the wiggle worm and is constantly kicking. The testing that I mentioned in my last post for the pre eclampsia came back negative which is a great thing. I guess that the Dr looked at the ultrasound pictures from when I was hospitalized again and thought that the umbilical cord was attached to the sack that holds the anionic fluid instead of the placenta and part of that might of ripped. This is a really rare condition but can be really serious, and possibly fatal for the baby if my water breaks or if that cord gets separated more. The nutrients still get to the baby but it just takes longer. The biggest difference between the cord being attached to the sack instead of of the placenta is that it isn't a strong connection. The placenta is "Meaty" (Dr's words, not mine) so the cord basically grows roots deep into it. She described the sack to be like "cellophane wrap" where it is so thin that the cord can't really attach very good to it. She wanted to see if her hypothesis was right at the next ultrasound appointment which was the following week and then we would go from there. She also had me do my glucose test. Yuck that juice is so gross, but I hurried and gulped it down then went and did my NST test while I was waiting for that hour to be up. (By the way, that test came back negative too). So we left that Dr's appointment with lots more information to sink in and many more hand drawn pictures of what my uterus looks like but it almost takes a scientist to figure out what it is. I am able to follow it better than Rob but that is because I have been studying up on Placenta Previa and it also helps how I had to have those health classes in school where they go over in detail the reproductive system. Every week the baby is in a different position. He went in just a matter of a week and a half to being head down, transverse with the head on the left side, then he moved so his head was next to my ribs and he was standing on my bladder. This last appointment that I had he was head down again and then when I walked down the hall for the ultrasound, he moved up to being transverse with his head on the right side... It makes you dizzy just thinking about it. During the ultrasound, we had another Dr help us since our new specialist is gone for this week and next. He agrees with our specialist that the cord is attached to the sack too. The placenta moved down a little more than the last ultrasound and is now at .9 cm from my cervix. That is really low since the placenta should be more than an inch away. The good news is that the baby is growing like normal. They figure he weighs about 3 pounds and 5 ounces now so that by the time we deliver he should be over 5 pounds but probably not more than 6. It was also really cool because Rob asked if you could see if the baby had hair in an ultrasound so the Dr looked at a close up of his head and sure enough, he has a little bit of hair on there. I am guessing that the plan is to have a scheduled C-Section around 36 weeks which would be towards the end of April, probably around the week of the 19th. That means that I only have about 5 or 6 more weeks of bed rest to go. Since I have been on bed rest for 4 weeks already, here is some of the pro's and con's of being on bed rest.

Pro's: breakfast in bed every day; no cooking; no cleaning; no laundry to do; no dishes to do; I get to play with the baby all the time and I notice his movements more than when I was preggo with Maysie since I am still all the time; Rob is more apt to give me a foot massage; Rob is home all the time; read lot's of books; learned how to crochet (Made a baby blanket); cuddle with Maysie during her nap time; get around tons faster in the morning; the baby can stay in longer; discovered how amazing our ward is and our friends, family and neighbors are...

Con's: you're board 95% of the time; miss giving Maysie baths; Maysie figured out that I can't discipline her right now, so she doesn't even try to mind me right now; can't take a bath; would love to shave my legs and paint my toes; you get so sore from just laying/sitting; you can't go anywhere; miss eating at the kitchen table; can we say chubbo? (Gaining weight like crazy - average about 5 lbs a week except last week where it was only 2 lbs); no social life...













'

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about the bed rest and stress and all! At least when he's born healthy and safe, you'll be able to stop stressing and it'll all have been worth it!

    ReplyDelete