Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's About Time

Yesterday, was a day that I was waiting for since right after I got married and moved into this house.... We finally replaced our kitchen counter tops... :) The last week Rob has been acting like a child waiting for Christmas morning to come. In fact yesterday morning, he was the one up at 5:00 am just to get started on some of the prep work that we knew the counter top people would have to do.... Like unscrew the support bars, etc... (You think if he couldn't sleep, he would at least give the baby his bottle and let me sleep, but of course, he was too busy prancin' around the kitchen so yours truly had to do it. :) ) Rob was right there ready to help with the demo, which reaffirms my point that he was like a kid a Christmas. I figured that it would probably be better to take the kids out for the day and get some errands/shopping done since according to the counter people it should only be 4-5 hours from start to finish. (Seriously, do you know how hard it was to find black church pants and a white shirt for Camden to wear for Johanna's wedding? Not an easy task since I need puny sizes. I know if I didn't start now, I probably wouldn't find it...) So, the kiddo's and I went and priced out the latest Temple fashions getup where my sister Diana so graciously met me at the store to offer suggestions and answer some of my question's about what is most necessary now, etc. So when I got done at that store, I called for an update on the kitchen. Yeah, they weren't very far yet. So I went to Burlington Coat Factory where they sometimes have dressy kid clothes in quest for this getup for Camden that he has to wear for the wedding. Lucky for me we found him a little black tux and even better, it just so happened to be the only one in his runt of a size. :) Now I can check that one off the list. While I was there, I found a cute little dress for Maysie. While we were going through her clothes searching for her black and pink dress for the wedding, I had her try on all of her dresses just like a human Barbie, and discovered that 2 out of her 4 dresses were no bueno - they were so short and definitely not so cute on as they were on the hanger- that's what I get for shopping at DI huh. (Fortunately, we already had a dress for her that would work great for the wedding, that is until Johanna called back and they decided that they were going to make all the little girls skirts instead of us getting them a dress) So since she has such a lack of Church clothes, I bought this adorable dress to add to her collection and better yet, I can give it to her on her birthday which is coming way to fast. So after wasting a bunch of time at Burlington, I called Rob again for another report... And the verdict was still the same... They still had a long time to go. So I decided to go to lunch at Arctic Circle where we enjoyed ok food, but yummy ice cream creations and where we all nearly escaped being squished like a bug by a big ol' guy who wasn't paying attention and tripped over Maysie who was standing right next to me who basically knocked Maysie to the floor and would have if I wasn't holding her hand, and in his pathetic attempts to stay standing grabbed onto the car seat which was around my arm all I could think of keep my arm locked into place so the car seat doesn't give and he wouldn't slip and punch Camden in the chest or I would drop Camden to the floor and to hold on tight to Maysie. We were lucky that no one was hurt and all that was ruined was Maysie's drink which she was done with anyways. After lunch, I called again thinking that they should at least be done getting the old counters off by now since it had already been 5 hours since I left, but they were only 1/2 done chiseling away at that stubborn tile. So I decided to head back to my neck of the woods and hit Wally World to get a spray bottle for some cleaner that comes in concentrate. Well, $60.00 later, and another 2 hours wasted, I called Rob again and they ran into some problems when they were taking the back splash off and ended up ripping the drywall off along with the tile. They were trying to figure out what to do so his words of advice was to not come home yet, since things were bound to get messier. Since it was not late afternoon, my in-laws were done with there annual free-fishing day excursion and I could waste my time at my MIL's house and Maysie could play with my nieces and nephew. It worked out great since by this time, my feet had about had it and I was sick of loitering at various retail stores wasting money (To my defence, I feel like Rob shouldn't get mad at me for spending way more money than previously planned since I had to linger away from home for way longer than expected...) :) Finally, at 9:00 at night, I called Rob and just told him that I needed to come home because the kids needed to get in bed. They were just about done so it worked out good. So the last granite guy left about 5 minutes to 10:00 and our 4-5 hour kitchen makeover turned into about 12 1/2 hours. Even though it took way longer than expected, it is well worth it and I just love the way it turned out, except maybe for the funky window seals that were thrown in. That might just take a while to get used to. And the plus side, I get to paint lot sooner than what Rob wanted to. He wanted to wait until at least the fall to paint the majority of the house but I wanted to have it done by Camden's baby blessing which is on the 4th of July. Since some of the walls got pretty nicked up in the process, Rob agrees that we should do it much sooner now. :)

So here are the before and after pics that I promised my mom that I would post so she could see.

Before:
After:


No comments:

Post a Comment