So Camden has always been kinda accident prone. I think it just started when he was born. Like the kid didn't go through enough then.... It isn't uncommon for him to have a bump or bruise on his forehead and it always seems like one will be just about gone and he will have another boo boo on the other side that appears. I'm pretty certain that he will be the reason for our first trip to the emergency room for a broken bone or such. It's really not a matter of if, it is just becoming a matter of when. Let me remind you, last year right before Christmas, he was pushed off the bed by a jealous sister, (not mentioning any names but I am sure you can figure it out ;) ) and he had a bad rug burn and bruise right by his eye. Well this year for Christmas, he decided to go bigger and better. Well not so much better for mom, but one day when he compares scars, it will be a better scar to compare. About a week before Christmas, the little monkey was trying to be big and climbed on Maysie's little cook stove that like goes up to my knees, so he could get a book of the shelf. He watched his older sister do the exact same thing just moments before, but I think he must of tuned out when she was being scolded for it. Anyways, I was watching my sister in laws 3 kids and was busy feeding the baby a bottle on the couch, when the next thing I hear is the thump, and of course it was followed by screaming. I looked up and didn't think it really hurt him, because, well he is accident prone, and he does stuff like this all the time, and he was already trying to gather himself up off the floor. Normally all he needs is a hug and he's on his way again. Well, when I gave him his hug, I looked down at my hand that was rubbing his head, and then I looked at my shirt which he would bury his head into and noticed blood... Everywhere. Luckily Rob was home so he came in and grabbed Camden for me so I could put the baby down and then go help Rob. By the time I was done, Camden was getting a nice shower in our kitchen sink and was all done with the crying and just wanting to play in the water. His attitude... Been there, Done that, All better now. We got the bleeding to slow down but we couldn't get a good look at the cut. So what does Rob do... He gets a razor and shaves around it.... I was practically in tears, Camden's hair is just now getting to the point where it would stick down on top instead of poking up like a porcupine. Let alone.... My poor baby. Luckily the cut wasn't very long. Deep was another story, but the cut was kinda weird, it spidered into 3 parts and looked like a letter Y. We decided that it probably wouldn't be long enough with each section to get stitches so there was really no point to go to the ER. Luckily, Rob has had lots of experiences with his own accident proneness (Is that even a word?) that he knows how to make a pretty mean butterfly bandage and take care of random cuts and bruises. So for a few days, Camden's head looked like this picture.
Once we got a good scab that wouldn't break open whenever he hit his head on something, we just covered it with a band aid and taped the ends of it to help it say on his head better. (We forgot to take pictures of this but just imagine the last picture with an normal bandage going over the cut with white tape across the top and bottom) When we went to church, one little boy asked his mom why Camden was wearing a football on his head which was actually a pretty accurate description of what it looked like, especially with the way his hair was shaved. I didn't think it would be super noticeable, you know since the band aid was brown, and his hair isn't overly dark, but apparently I was wrong because we were sitting in the back of the chapel in the over flow section and the Bishop noticed it up on the stand... "Ouch!" was the comment we heard most often.
On Christmas even, his scab was thick enough that I could cut his hair to make it look not so noticeable, (luckily his hair grows super fast too) and though, it is now shorter than it has been in a while and we had to cut the top a little bit narrower than normal, you can hardly tell that anything happened. There is a small difference in the length of the hair where it was shaved compared to the rest but you have to look close. It won't be long until his scar will go to a white color instead of the red and you will never know it was even there, unless of course he one day bic's his head, or he receives his Dad's hairline (but I think his thick hair takes more after me....) We'll just have to wait and see
This picture was taken about 2 days before Christmas when we were changing the bandage. If you look close you can see how it split into a Y shape. Now I guess we just play the waiting game to see when the next time we have to deal with another one of this kids accidents. :)


No comments:
Post a Comment