
Rob and Joe chattin' when we stopped to play on the hills.
After we got the canyon, everyone unloaded their 4-wheelers. Rob gave me a quick lesson on operating this "mean machine" and we took off up the mountain. At first, I was driving like a granny and only going about 15 miles an hour but before we were 1/4 of the way up I was feeling more comfortable and was hitting speeds of 25 mph or so. I was totally rockin' it! :) We drove about 8 miles or so when we stopped at fork in the road and took a break. We didn't know if we wanted to go up towards the pond that is there or if we wanted to go up to some towers at the top of the mountain. The wind was blowing a little bit and my contacts were irritating my eyes so bad so I was glad that we could stop for a few minutes so I could put some eye drops in my eyes. Kim was nice enough to let me use her sunglasses which helped keep a lot of the dust out of my eyes. After shootin the breeze for a few minutes we decided to go up to the towers that were on the very top of the mountain, so we were off again. We drove a few more miles and stopped at a maintenance building something or other where they had a few hills to go on and little trials the would take you around some trees. I wasn't too confident about my ATV skills yet so I jumped on the back of Rob's 4-wheeler and we played on the hills for a few times and then tried out a few of those little trails. After everyone grew board with that we continued up the mountain. We only went another mile or so before we stopped again at a bigger opening with a lot more hills on it. This time I did the hills myself! :) Yep, a certified dare devil now! J/K. We hung out there for about 30 minutes and then we took off again. We were almost to the top now. About 5 minutes after we took off, we passed about 6-7 cows that were probably a little bit lost. They were just following the road and was probably coming from over by Morgan we were guessing. So if anyone is missing some cow's in that area.... you better go check the top of the mountain! The views were magnificent up there. We were on the backbone of the mountain so you could look one way and see the Morgan area and then you just turn you head the other direction and you see Layton and the Great Salt Lake with a whole panaramic view of Antelope Island. It isn't very often when you can get a view of the whole island at the same time. The closer we got the top of the mountain the rougher the road got. Obviously very few cars could get up there so the trail was really rocky and rough. When we got to the turnoff for the towers, it looked super steep so we chose not to venture up there. Joe, Kent and Kim went up there though. They found out that those towers are for the airplanes. They look like a giant golf ball on the very top of the mountain and for years I wondered what exactly it was. Now the mystery is solved. :) While the others went up to the towers, Elden, Kaden, Kash, Rob and I hiked up the hill and looked down on the valley below. Rob taught Kaden and Kash to throw the rocks... Boys! They were having so much fun. After the others came back down the hill, we climbed up to the very top of the mountain which wasn't too far away. Where you end up, you look right over the Morgan area. It was so pretty and green! The view was absolutely breathtaking.
Rob hiking up the hill from the trail to go scope out the fantastic views of the Great Salt Lake
A scenic view looking off towards the Park City area... You couldn't see park city, but you could see that reservoir that is right by there although you can't see it in this picture.
Throwing Rocks!
After reminiscing the gorgeous views for a while, we could hear every ones stomachs grumbling and we decide to head back down so we could eat lunch. The plan was to go to Chuck-A-Rama afterwards. About a mile into my journey down the mountain a little grass hopper hopped onto my 4-wheeler and caught a ride most of the way down the mountain. I wanted to get a picture, but I knew if I stopped then it would probably hop off before I could get my camera out and snap a photo of it. It was pretty funny watching this insect though. It would hold on and scramble for better footing then it would jump to the front of the 4-wheeler and sit under the rack for a while and then it would go back and sit by the seat... You could almost hear it thinking. That for sure was something you probably wouldn't experience very often. Surprisingly enough, it didn't really take that long to get down off the mountain....
When we got back to the pickup, we were all filthy dirty and a little sun burnt. When I took off the sun glasses to give back to Kim, my face looked like a raccoon. I had dirt all over my face. It looked so funny that Rob had to get a picture of me...

I had dirt all over my face and my clothes and my hands were almost black! After using our ice cold drinking water to clean up, we loaded up the 4-wheelers and took off to "The Chuck" where I could clean up much better and actually use some soap and warm water! I had so much fun on my first real adventure of 4-wheeling. We are already talking about trying to go again within the next few weeks. I wonder why we didn't get these toys much sooner, like when we first got married???



No comments:
Post a Comment