Like many of you here in the Salt Lake Valley, the storm that came blazing in last weekend was crazy. At our house we got over 2 feet of snow added to the 6 inches or so that we already had. Thursday night Rob and I had the opportunity to go to a movie premiere at the Gateway with some of his family and it seemed like it took for-ev-er to get there- almost an hour to go 10 miles or so. The movie was egh not a huge surprise because it isn't my type of movie but Rob thought it was ok, but our real surprise was when we got ready to leave their was a ton of fresh snow. We thought that it took a long time before but the way home took us even longer. When we pulled into our driveway the snow was already up to the bottom of our van like there was no tires attached to it. Needless to say, we were tired and didn't want to mess with it until the morning. We figured it wouldn't be a big deal because we could just get the 4 wheeler out. Big mistake. By the next morning we had 11" of snow. Not kidding ....
And it was still snowing. And snowing. And snowing. Our problem was that we forgot that Joe has the 4 wheeler at his house that happens to be the one with the plow on it from when he borrowed it to go on his elk hunt and it is now buried in his shed, in his back yard. Yeah, not cool. Luckily Rob was home to do most of the shoveling this time. I helped some, and the kids tried to help some too, but you know how kids are.... There was alot of snow angel making and king of the mountain, and even a few snow balls here and there.
Of course the weather was so bad that Davis County canceled school which is a huge deal because vary rarely does school get canceled in a city because of a storm. The neighbor kids loved the mini vacation and started building tunnels and igloo hideouts up and down our little street. :) It ended up snowing all day on Friday and most of the day Saturday and some still we saw some snowflakes on Sunday too. The plows evidently had a hard time keeping up with the storm since the main roads stink to drive on but the side roads they actually did a pretty good job. :) I'm thinking that there was alot of miscommunication about who plows what on the main roads since they are boarder roads with the neighboring cities because they are all snow packed and icy still... Since we live at the end of a culdasac, the plow tends to dump the snow from our street right in front of our house and our neighbors across the street. This storm must have been something because the brought the plow up and then brought a backhoe up too. The whole time I have lived here I don't think I have ever seen this done before. Anyways, somehow or mailbox fell victim to the backhoe. Still not quite sure how it happened. If it wasn't for the snow supporting it, it would be laying on the ground. Luckily they didn't hit our neighbors mailbox that is less than 2 feet from ours or the fire hydrant that is about 2 feet the other direction. That could have been disastrous. Personally, I am kinda glad because the mailman hit our mailbox a year or two ago and broke the supporting arm of the pole and Rob being the conservative guy he is attached metal plates to brace it into place. I have always thought that it looked a little tacky but it wasn't high on my priority list to buy a new pole. Now the city is buying us a new one and fixing it for us. Score! :)
Now that this storm has passed, the air became clear of the inversion for like 2 days and it is now all sorts of yuck again and the temperatures are freezing cold. I feel so bad for Rob who has to work in the middle of the night, outside half the time, in temperatures that are averaging below zero every day. We have been hermits inside our home because it is soo cold I haven't wanted to go outside unless I absolutely have to. Hopefully it warms up alittle bit and we can take the kids sledding like they have been begging us later this week. How is it when you are little you seem to never notice how cold it is or it doesn't really bother you as bad. All I can say is that my perception of these temperatures have definitely changed as I have gotten older that I like to be where it is nice and warm where there isn't much of this cold stuff for me.
Sorry there is no pictures folks. I have some taken but for some reason I can't get them to upload on here. Bummer! So just envision this: A tape measure measuring the snow - it read 11"; a picture of Maysie pretty much buried in the snow trying to make a snow angel; a picture of Camden on top of our snow pile at the side of our driveway that we made while shoveling the snow; a picture of Rob trying to clear the driveway with snow; and a deformed mailbox. See we don't need pictures do we. :)
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment