So I have fineally decided to try this whole blog thing out. I have been scoping out a few peoples blogs lately to figure out how this whole thing works... It kinda looks like a good way to keep a current journal and show everyone pictures of my fast growing Daughter, Maysie without haveing to e-mail it to everyone... Now if I can only figure out how to do that, this might be a more handy way to let people see.. I mean all I have to do is put it on here and then it is up to everyone else to look at it if they want to. I can do that, I think. So wish me luck.....
I just got back from a trip with Rob on Tuesday night. We went to Laurel, Montana to pick up a load and had to deliver it in Ogden. We did two trips back to back which wouldn't normally be so bad except Mother Nature seemed to clue us in on our second trip, that indeed, it is still winter... not spring... The first trip was smooth... good weather, great drive, seen lots of wildlife by Malad which is always fun, Maysie was a gem (she loves going in the truck), despite her teething frustrations.. When we got to Ogden we had to wait to deliver until the morning so we went to dinner and a shower at the good ol' Flying J truck stop because I didn't feel like a can of chili for dinner and my sweet husband was all for it.. (I think it was because of the buffet... he loves them for some reason) We went and showered first, thank heavens... (It always feels good to get cleaned up after a trip). This was my first time ever showering in a truck stop. Normally we get to go home inbetween loads but this time we couldn't. It was $8.00. I couldn't believe it. (Maybe I should hang a sign outside letting truck drivers take showers at my house. I would only charge them $5.00 a shower. You could make millions... j/k). I guess that the good thing about it was that you had plenty of hot water... At dinner, Maysie kept flirting with everyone who walked by. Every time the waitress came over, Maysie would try and grab the waitress' hand. She had most of the restraunt attention with all of her cuteness. Anyways, then next trip we took, we knew that it was susposed to snow some in the higher elevations so we left as soon as possible so we could beat the storm. Going up there wasn't bad although most of the ride got monotamus, we went through Wyoming this time. It seems like forever between the towns. We got there ok, it was just barely starting to snow little flakes. On the way back, things changed completely. We got to just outside Shoshone, Wyoming, and we couldn't hardly see a thing because of all the drifting snow. We drove to Riverton, Wyoming about 20 miles away because they have a small truck stop there that is pretty decent and stopped for the night. (That is the bad thing about being in a semi, there isn't very many places we can park) The visability was horable the whole way there. The next morning, we woke up and then attempted the rest of our journey. The storm had passed us but the roads were still getting cleaned up. It wasn't so bad until we got to South Pass. (For any of you that don't know were that it, it is just south Lander and in the same neck of the woods where Martin's Cove is for all of you Church History buffs). South Pass has lots of these hills that don't look like much but are actually really, really steep. We chained up at the bottom and got going again. We were almost to the top of the first hill when we spun-out and couldn't go anywhere, so we called for a tow truck. While we were waiting, the winds came up. Drifting snow everywhere. I haven't been that scared for a long time. I mean we are on this hill with a huge ravine right next to us, and just on the side of the road right between two big curves, which one of them we learned is named Dead Mans Curve, and the snow is blowing everywhere. I couldn't see anything outside. I was just praying that no one would hit us as they try to surpass us. Fineally a Highway Patrolman came behind us and checked everything out. The tow truck went passed us and told us that he had to go up the mountain a little further to help another truck first and then he would be back for us... 5 hours later, still no sign of the tow truck. Then some pickup came up to the cop and got him because at the bottom of the hill, a semi jack-knifed and was blocking most of the road. So we were just waiting, and waiting, and waiting. Fineally Rob decided to try and put one more set of chains on the inside of the dual tires (the were only on the outside tires at this point). We fineally made it up the hill with that extra set. We were just hopeing that none of the chains would break because we didn't have any extra sets with us. We fineally passed the tow truck about 15 minutes after we started driving and told him we didn't need him anymore. He didn't care because he was on his way to that jack-knifed semi and we would have had to wait yet again for him. Needless to say, we were not on his top list of priorities. But we didn't care too much because we were on our way at last. It took us about 8 hours to get passed South Pass. The roads were horrable, and it was drifting so bad we were really surprised that the roads didn't get closed. Then instead of taking our normal short cut to the interstate, we had to detour around to Rock Springs, because the road was closed because of another accident, (This one was involving a few trucks that actually haul for the same company that Rob does.. Don't worry, no one was hurt, just the equiptment) That added another hour and a half to our trip. Then about 35 miles from the state line, the interstate was closed for another accident. When we was just about there people said that it was open again but they just had to get all the cars moving again... Well we were sitting there parked on the interstate for 30 minutes. It looked like a parking lot of semi's. LOL Finelly we made it back and got unloaded much faster then we expected. Needless to say, I am in no big hurrry to go out on the road again. I'll leave that to my honey bunches.
Friday, March 13, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment