Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Down and Derby Time

Tonight was our Ward's Pinewood Derby. Talk about FUN! I took quite a few pictures so that Rob could see what he was missing out on. He never did scouts before and has no idea what even a Pinewood Derby is. I didn't want him to miss out on all of the fun. :) I have never been around scouts much before now, and even though I knew what a Pinewood Derby was, I didn't realize exactly how much people get into it. It kinda is like that movie Down and Derby. (I wonder if the Dad's get that involved of if the kids do most of it themselves? My guess is that they work together, but it might just depend on the family too? Just Kidding, I really don't know. I think our parents are all pretty good about letting the kids do things pretty much on there own, we have great parental support compared to alot of other packs that I hear about.) All of the cars were so creative and just plain fascinating. I am sure that it took many hours and tons of thinking to make a cool car like these boys did. All of the cars had to be designed to fit in with the theme "Jurassic Pack" which of course was the theme for our Derby races, and also the theme for this month. Some of the boys actually made dinosaur cars, others disected old toys and attached to the cars, some of them painted their cars dinosaur-ish, and some used all sorts of dino stickers to add so pizazz to their cars. These boys did such awesome jobs, and to be truthful, they probably did much better then what I could of done.










This is all of the cars before the race... Pretty creative scouts we got huh...

They raced their cars over, and over on the track that they brought in to determine the winner. I mean they get real technical here. They had a computer program that they used to keep track of who races when and so forth. At times it got purely chaotic with boys running every which way to get there cars. They would hurry and put the cars at the starting line and it would only take a few seconds to get to the finish line, and then the next bunch was already at the starting line ready to go.... I had a hard time keeping track of who won what race and who was even racing when.... It all went so fast. Good thing all I really had to do was watch them speed to the finish. :)










On Your Mark, Get Set, GO!

In the end, we found out who our speed demons were this year. Da Daada... Danny Colledge won first place and Jackson Rees (He was gone but he still submitted his car in the Derby) came in second with Justin Roe placing a close, I mean close third place. (They had to race Jackson and Justin's cars so many times to determine who was 2nd and who was 3rd that I think everyone lost count. One would win and then the next time the other would win, and the story continues...)













The winning 3 cars. Danny is on the left and Justin is on the right.

Every boy received a trophy similar to this one with some type of award on in. Of course the award was dinosaur themed and quite creative like a the Most Dino-mite Car, etc. All in all it was a really cool night and I think that everyone who went enjoyed themselves.










Our trophy's. Don't they look pretty cool?

Maysie was so fun to watch there. She would clap and cheer for the winners, and she loved watching the cars race toward the finish line. I had to go move her back away from the track a few times because she wanted the best seat possible.... Up close and Personal with the track. :) Of course she had a hay-day with all of the kids that was there. She would just walk up to pretty much any kid and try to play with them. When we were setting up and then cleaning up, Maysie kept trying to follow all of the other leaders kiddo's around like she was just as big as they were.... I'm not sure why she is never really shy around children. I guess she just wants to be a social butterfly. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment