Friday, December 10, 2010

Dinner with a President

This post happened again at Sizzler the same night, but I felt that it was special enough to have it's own post entry. Right after Maysie and I got out of the Ladies Facilities and sat down at our table, Rob goes into this mode of random church questions... He was like, "Do you think members of the First Presidency of the Church would go out in the public to eat our would they just have food brought to them, etc." I told him, that they were human, and I am sure they enjoyed to go out occasionally and it was possible. I then reminded him that we stood in line to vote about 5 people in front of Elder Bednar a few years ago. Right after I got done with my answer to his question, then he told me to turn around and tell me who this person that was walking behind me looked like. I turned around, and President Eyring was right there with his plate of lettuce. I smiled and turned back at Rob, and told him that it was President Henry B. Eyring. This got Rob all excited and all through dinner he was like, "we should go talk to him." I just told him to sit still and let the man enjoy the evening out with his family. Every few seconds, Rob would peek his head out the end of the table to keep tabs on this "Spiritual Giant" who was sitting at a table 3 booths away from ours with his wife and I am guessing his granddaughter. I knew that by the way Rob was acting, he would go up to President Eyring and talk to him. Sure enough, when this man who probably felt like a fish in a fishbowl by this point got up to get some ice cream, Rob makes a bee-line for the salad bar which is of course right next to the dessert station. When my dear husband came back, he had the biggest grin on his face. Rob excitedly told me that he told President Eyring hello, and shook his hand. Then President Eyring asked him his name and where he was from then told him it was really nice to meet him too. I was starting to sink into my seat at our table trying to hide from this man who was starting at the back of my head - yes, that would be Mr. Eyring himself. I have no idea why I felt like I needed to fade into my surroundings, but for some reason I wasn't basking in the glory of my husbands new found friend. I feel so sad to admit that I missed a great opportunity to meet this man, but it was what happened. When President Eyring left with his family, President Eyring waved goodbye to our table. Now I was really glad that Rob isn't shy at all and went and said hello to this Disciple of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment