Thursday, August 27, 2009
Do I, Or Do I Not?
I am facing a huge delima. Should I start potty training Maysie or should I wait? I put her on the "porcelain goddess" before her baths in the morning and normally when I am changing her into her pajama's at night, just to get her familiar with the concept and she does go occasionally, but I have always wondered if she is really understanding what is going on... Well tonight, I just asked her if she wanted to go use the potty and she nodded her head yes... Um ok, now I am wondering if she savvy what I am asking her. Anyways, I took her in to the bathroom and set her on the toilet which seemed ginormous compared to her and she actually went. Now can you see my delima? I always knew that Maysie wanted to grow up faster than what I wanted her too. Sometimes I wonder if it will really work to potty train her so early, yet she is showing signs that she is really ready for this task. Let's face it. For the pro's of this situation, it would be extremely nice to not have to buy so many diapers let alone change all the diapers all the time, and I think all the nursery leaders would be blown away if she was potty trained before she was of age to even go to nursery.... It would make me look like wonder momma - who wouldn't like that. But for the con's, where in the world can I find tiny panties that would fit her? When I have seen them in the stores the smallest I have found is 2T and she wears anywhere from 9 months to 12 months depending on the pants... And we can't forget the fact that I would have to do laundry every day.... Uggh, and also all the scrubbing of the furniture, carpet and who knows what else from the accidents that I am sure she will have... Am I really ready for all of this? We'll see... I know that I have to make my decision soon so I'll let you all know later what the verdict is. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My doctor said most kids around this age so some signs of being ready . . . especially a willingness that seems to elude them around the notorious 2 year mark :-) But, he said unless ALL the signs are there, it can be a rough road. Some people potty train at this age and things go smoothly . . . my suggestion would be to follow her lead. If she prefers to relieve herself in the potty and not be in a dirty diaper, it may be enough to motivate her to do this! A lot of kids around the 18 month mark will be pretty receptive to potty training . . . even my stubborn Annie would use the potty around that age . . . but, what usually happens is that it gets old kinda quick to them, they get more stubborn and independent around the two year mark, and if it's not their idea, then it's out the door until two and a half or later. Each kid is so different, and Maysie has always done things early, so she may very well be one of those exceptions. But for me, until my girl was old enough to be kinda 'responsible' for it herself, it wasn't worth it. She fought too hard and had too many accidents . . . and I would've rather changed a hundred diapers than clean out one pair of poopy pants! :-) Even when Annie was that age and wanted to use the potty, she just didn't have that great of bladder control and stuff, whereas now she can go 8 hours without a bathroom if she needs to, so we don't always have to be right next to a potty. So, we tried it around 18 months, it didn't stick, we put it off 'til closer to 3. But, there are scores of Mom's who potty train by two and don't have problems. Good luck!
ReplyDelete