Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fun in the Sun!

Today's weather is gorgeous! According to my computer it is 77* out right now, although it feel like the mid 80's. Since this year has been one of the wettest most rainiest seasons I can remember for a long time, Maysie and I totally took advantage of the killer weather. We decided to try out her new kiddie pool and swimsuit. We had so much fun-- well we tried to have so much fun. I discovered that the pool is teeny-tiny compared to what I thought it would be... It will work great for this year but next year I will have to invest in a bigger one. :) Maysie didn't like the pool so much. I took off her shoes and just set her in it so she was standing and she screamed and screamed! It was probably because the water was colder than what she is used to. So I ended up taking her out and putting back on her cute shoes before the neighbors started raising eyebrows at my parenting tactics. So Maysie and I came to a uneasy compromise.. . She could play outside in the back yard wearing her swimsuit while happily munching on her first Popsicle, or she could scream bloody murder while standing in the pool. She looked so adorable in her tiny little swimsuit and her flip-flops. I too wore my swimsuit out side to work on my tan although I added a pair of capri's over it and was definitely not about to venture to the front yard where any of my neighbors could see me nor was I about to take a self portrait. This is the first time I have put on a swimsuit pre-baby. The last time I put one on was for New Years Eve when I was about 16 weeks preggo and it was starting to get alittle snug. Thanks heavens the style of my swimsuit hides all the extra flabbiness quite well or I would have been bundled up super tight and never attempting to show face in a swimsuit until my post baby gut will firm up and not look like a sagging blob. :)

Not so sure about this pool business












Before I knew it, Maysie got braver and was able to stand next to the pool while longingly eyeing the little balls that we threw into the pool to coax her to play in the pool. Eventually she would reach in and grab a ball and do some splashing action as long as she was on the outside of the pool.

Watching the little balls.... "O I want those!!!"
i










Some tiny little splashing action going on....











She loved to just run around the back yard. This is what she spent most of her time doing. I got picture after picture of her running from one end of the yard to the other. This is totally a characteristic of her. She can't seem to sit still for nothing, I'm pretty sure that she inherited that trait from her father.

Smiling big for the camera!











One of her favorite things to do outside of running endlessly through the yard was taking all of the little balls one by one out of the pool and then arranging them into a nice line on the grass, then one by one replacing them back into the pool. She would do this over and over again. So she seemed to do 2 activities at once: playing with her pool as far as she would venture while still being able to roam freely in the back yard. :) What a smart little cookie I have.

(these next 2 pictures are switched around -- Sorry)

taking the ball back to the pool











taking the ball out of the pool













I took some time and sat in the camp chair I sat up in the nice shade to just sit and relax while Maysie got out most of her energy so she would be able to take a nice nap once we got inside... She instead of running around, came over to me and would play. I would grab her with my legs and she would hold on tight and I would raise her about 6 inches or so off the ground then set her back down again. She would laugh like crazy every time I would do this and wanted to do it over and over again. That gets to be good exercise after the first 25 times. Feel the burn baby! :) It was so funny how fascinated she was with this.

Laughing like crazy while being raised off the ground in between my legs











After my legs were too tired of raising her up and down over and over again, Maysie took off again to do some exploring in the back yard...
Running as fast as she could far far away from me....













She discovered the little rocks that are underneath our deck... Yikes! Maysie would grab handfuls of these little things and put them into a pile on the patio pavers next to her, then one by one she would try and lick them and put them back on the ground underneath the deck.... She sure has a knack for finding trouble!
Playing with the little rocks














She actually succeeded in getting a few rocks into her mouth before I could pull them out of her hands... She quickly spit them out once she figured out that they were, well, hard and not some sort of food. I had to stop and laugh at her as I discovered that sometimes the best way to learn is to actually try it. I knew once she tasted them, then she wouldn't like the taste and more than likely she won't get into them again... or she'll listen when I tell her NO!
Sampling a little rock... Yum ---- NOPE it's Yuck!











So after 3 hours outside working on our suntans, we decided to go in for a while and cool off. It was a quite successful 1st attempt at enjoying the pool where only a few strands of grass, a handful of bark, all the pool toys, a leaf or two, and the few pebbles made it into her mouth. I guess there is so much to do and so little time in her little mind. Now I can't wait for another fantastic weather day so we can again attempt the pool experiance while in cutisity of our back yard. I have a feeling that when Maysie finally discovers that the pool isn't scarey, we'll have a hard time getting her out... Maybe I'll have to start saving the popsicles for after the pool instead of during. It might be a great incentive for getting her out... Just a thought! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment